iTunes 12 compatibility?

Use this forum to discuss any problems or suggestions you might have related to iTunesKeys.

iTunes 12 compatibility?

Postby nish81 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:10 am

Hi,

First of all thanks for this fantastic tool :)

I just updated to iTunes 12 (the latest version, that is) and I am now receiving the following error when I try to start up iTunes Keys:

Is iTunes Keys compatible with iTunes 12?
nish81

Re: iTunes 12 compatibility?

Postby MattBerube » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:22 am

Try the fix here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2

Sometimes when installing iTunes the plugin interface stops working. Running it with the /regserver option fixes that.
MattBerube
Site Admin

Postby nish81 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:48 pm

Thanks for the superfast reply - I'll attempt to be faster myself.

I did what you said and the error has persisted. Just to be clear, I ran iTunes with the /regserver option once, and no window opened (so I assume it fixed whatever the problem should be in the background), and then removed the /regserver option and ran it normally with iTunes Keys - and still received the same error.

However, I tried installing iTunes Keys on my laptop, which has the same version of iTunes installed, and do not receive this error. So that means the problem is with something in my desktop and not your software I guess - apologies. That said, is there any way you can help me figure out what it could be? My laptop and desktop are both running the exact same version of iTunes and iTunes Keys, but the laptop is working fine and the desktop isn't..
nish81

Postby nish81 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:10 am

I also just tried a full uninstall -> reboot -> reinstall of both itunes and itunes keys, with no luck

I did try the /regserver step after the reinstall too, with no luck.

Maybe if you can tell me what the offending .dll file could be I can try registering it manually using the regsvr32 command?
nish81

Postby MattBerube » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:01 pm

Thanks for the superfast reply - I'll attempt to be faster myself.

No worries...

Like you say with your laptop, I also have iTunes 12 and it works, so there must be something different with your desktop. A full uninstall/reinstall like you tried would have been what I'd try next. I'm not sure what else to suggest. You could try it again, and double check everything gets removed from the iTunes/iTunesKeys folders.

If you search for iTunes and regserver or part of that error message you can find other people who have had the same problem. I'm not aware of any solution other than the /regserver option or reinstalling. :(
I'm actually not even sure what the /regserver option does, if it is an external dll file or if it's something with the iTunes.exe itself. I originally found that solution from other people who had that problem with other iTunes add-ons.
MattBerube
Site Admin

Postby nish81 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:47 am

I see. Yeah I searched for that problem. I saw some people using the 'regsvr32 XXXX.dll' command to register specific .dll files which is why I asked whether you knew of any dll files in particular.

When I uninstall/reinstalled iTunes I didn't delete my old library file - do you think that could be an issue? I have a few thousand ratings that I really don't want to lose, but if that's the only option I'd consider it.
nish81

Postby MattBerube » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:54 pm

I'd be really surprised your library file affected it. You could always make a copy of it before trying anything.
MattBerube
Site Admin

Postby nish81 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:53 pm

Hi, just a late update. the bug somehow resolved itself spontaneously. I didn't do anything about it but it began to work by itself and has held up fine for the last few months!
nish81

Return to iTunesKeys